Cowboys Training Camp Day 2 and a flavor has emerged from “Camp Focused”. Leaders abound as you see Witten working with each TE, WR or rookie when he can. Spencer speaks into players ears between reps. Ronald Leary stands behind each drill and has quiet conversation with other linemen. Church is the leader for the defensive back seven and Claiborne is walking with swagger I have not seen since early in his rookie campaign.
Camp is “upbeat’, players are in shape and focus is INTENSE! Yet as with any superior physical execution key players are loose and having fun. These guys enjoy excelling. They get off on taking their skills to the next level and “grind” is a key item they relish to pull out of the tool bag versus something to be dreaded.
You read the fish wraps (online or otherwise) and the Cowboys are not rated highly and berated with aplomb by those who (really) have no idea. Some still suppose the Cowboys are going back to a 3-4 defense while others lament the season is gone with Sean Lee absent. To abuse a favorite quote “we got em just where we want them.”
Cowboys Training Camp Day 2 -Random Observations
- Zack Martin is getting work at Center
- Swing tackle Parnell is healthy and in shape this camp
- Leary & Spencer doing light jogging and side band crawls – looking good
- WR’s working on getting off the press
- Henry Melton looks NASTY. Just no other way to put it.
- Terrell McClain is the second aspect of the NASTY twins.
- Matt Johnson has already practiced more days this year than previous years combined
- Doug Free LEVELED a dummy and the player who was holding it (and not paying full attention). Laughing could be heard across the field.
- B.W. Web needs to step up. Not that he is playing bad, those behind him are excelling (so far).
- Jeremy Mincey took a step forward at the end of practice. He needs leaps.
Every year when working the Crawford drill (slalom vs tackling dummies) the NFL would wait and watch for DeMarcus Ware to take his turn so they could use it for training tapes. Enter Henry Melton. Was he injured? Did he have a bad wheel? Could have fooled me. The man got JUMP and CUT! The “oooooohs and ahhhhs” were coming from the players and coaches as well as the fans. Let’s lay it out. The front office hit a home run here. The pads and pre-season will determine if it’s a grand slam or an inside the park gift. Right behind him is Terrell McClain.
DeMarcus Lawrence is not far behind. Fully engaged in “rookie mode” he will have three “learning” drill reps followed by one where you rub your eyes wondering “who the heck was that??!!! No two ways about it, the man has skills. As you hear ad nauseam however, let’s see what happens when the pads come on.
ANY (and all) Camp Donations are GREATLY appreciated. Use the Paypal link next to the Donation Thermometer in the side bar. CowboysNation is putting five sets of eyes on the field starting Monday. HUGE thanks to all that have given so far. FYI – If you are coming to SoCal it is NOT cheap.
What say you Cowboys Nation?
Another Left Coast Cowboys Post: on Twitter – Steven Van Over